The new homeschool year is about to begin!
One of the things I like to do before ‘term’ starts, is to fill up our freezer with home-cooked meals. Meals that I can quickly defrost for a nutritious lunch or dinner on those busy homeschool days.
When you home educate your kids, the Freezer Is Your Friend!
One of my favorites is this Simple Pasta Sauce….It’s delicious!
Even better….its packed with vegetables but your little ones won’t know it!
With FIVE different vegetables, you can be sure that your children are having a tasty and nutritious meal.
|Some of the vegetables needed for this sauce|
This recipe makes 8-10 servings. That’s quite a lot, so you can freeze the extra in small containers for later.
This is great for those busy homeschool days when I need to prepare a quick lunch. I can just boil some dry pasta and defrost this sauce…et voila…a delicious home-cooked meal!
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
4 Celery Sticks
2 Red Peppers
2 Garlic Cloves
2 Cans of Chopped Tomatoes (800g)
1 Tsp Sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste
Grated Cheddar Cheese to serve
1. Dice the celery, onions, peppers and garlic.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan, and saute the vegetables
3. When the vegetables have started to soften and change colour, add the chopped tomatoes and sugar.
4. Simmer until all vegetables are cooked.
5. Pour this sauce into a blender/food processor and blend until the sauce in smooth. It should have the consistency of a thick yoghurt.
6. Season to taste.
At this point, you can decant the sauce into small containers to store in your freezer.
7. Serve on cooked pasta and sprinkle with cheese.
Seriously, this sauce tastes great! Give it a go! You can add cooked chicken or
sauted mushrooms if you want to bulk it up, or just enjoy it as it is.
Please leave me a comment below and let me know how you liked it.