We have been learning about Ancient China in our homeschool. The history of China is so interesting, and the children have really enjoyed learning more about the Chinese culture.
In addition to the history of China, we have learnt more about the physical Geography of China, including map work and read some Ancient Chinese legends.
The idea for this craft came from Story of the World: Activity Book 1.
Both my 6 year-old and 4 year-old boys enjoyed doing this activity, and our Ancient Ming bowls look beautiful displayed in our dining area.
Ancient Chinese Bowl Craft
Cling-film (Plastic wrap)
Small plastic bowl
White glue (optional)
How to Make your Ming Bowl:
- Roll out clay to about 1 cm thick, so that it will cover the entire plastic bowl.
- Wrap the plastic bowl in cling-filmand turn upside down. Make sure your surfaces are covered in newspaper or an old table cloth.
- Lay the clay over the upturned bowl.
- Use your knife to trim away the excess clay and make the edges smooth.
- Leave clay to dry over-night.
- Once completely dry, use your blu paint to decorate the outside of the bowl. Chinese pottery was typically painted with flowers, birds and outdoor scenery. Leave to dry.
- If you would like to give your bowl a gloss finish, mix 2 parts glue with 1 part water to make a glaze. Paint this mixture over the entire bowl, and leave to dry.
My 6 year-old painted waves onto his bowl, and my younger son (4 years-old) chose to paint trees on his. They were really pleased with the results and have been showing these bowls to anyone who comes to visit!
More Resources for Ancient China Unit Study:
Other Resources we have used for our Ancient China Unit Study include:
- The Story About Ping (Independent Reader)
We have really enjoyed learning about Ancient China. The only thing left to do now s get some Chinese take-away and watch Kung-fu Panda!
Have you been looking at Ancient China in your homeschool? Have you done any interest Chinese crafts?
I would really love to hear what resources you have been using. Please share with us in the comments below!