Let’s talk about a fun and engaging way to teach your children world geography in your homeschool!
Learning more about world geography encourages children to grow into global citizens. As travel and communication become more advanced, our world seems to be becoming smaller! Understanding and appreciating cultural differences between countries breaks down the barriers of prejudice and racial divide, which is necessary in today’s world.
I was recently introduced to an amazing new website called The Worldly Adventures of Archibold Clutterbuck & Friends – yes, it’s a fun as it sounds! In this blog post I’m delighted to share my family’s experience with this Free online learning platform and some of their products.
We’re also hosting a GIVEAWAY! Scroll down to the bottom of the blogpost for more details.
This blogpost was written in collaboration with The Worldly Adventures of Archibold Clutterbuck & Friends. They kindly gifted me the products in this review, and compensated me for my time.
Why Teach World Geography?
World geography is one of the most fun subject to teach because there are so many ways to approach it. The world is literally your oyster!
World geography is important because children:
- Learn to locate places on a map/globe
- Understand cultural and physical differences in those places
- Understand how human and physical processes have changed the world
- Appreciate their place in the world
- Become a better global citizens
How does Archibald Clutterbuck work?
The Worldly Adventures of Archibold Clutterbuck & Friends is a FREE online learning platform where children can come to learn about world geography and discover more about the world they live in.
The website offers free educational resources that parents can use to facilitate their children’s learning. These include:
- Worksheets – Crosswords, Word-searches, “Where I’ve been” map, Colouring pages
- YouTube channel – Numerous animated videos to start your child off on a self-directed learning journey. Videos include, “Top 5 – European Landmarks” and “Top 5 – Waterfalls” and many more.
- Geographical facts – The website offer a plethora of geographical information about the different continents, indigenous people, environments and flags
- It uses entertaining animated characters and scenes to keep children engaged in their learning.
- Shop – The website currently stocks a colourful world map in A1 or A2 size, a continents explorer’s journal, and stickers. Their products are high-quality, and compliment the learning material available on their website.
How can I use it in my homeschool?
The Worldly Adventures of Archibold Clutterbuck is an open-ended learning resource that encourages self-directed learning. By utilising children’s innate curiosity about the world around them, these resources help children to develops research skills as they answer their own questions through independent research. Through the website, youtube videos, and worksheets, children are taught to be resourceful, looking for the information they need and deciding in which direction they want to take their learning.
We have used the Archibold Clutterbuck A2 World map and Explorer’s journal to compliment our study of world geography and prompt further exploration!. For example, in our last lesson, the boys began by watching a video about different world festivals on the Archibold Clutterbuck YouTube channel. Then they decided to follow that up, by watching another documentary about the Chinese New Year.
We looked at the A2 World map to identify China, and used the map to discuss its physical characteristics. We also had a look in an old atlas we have at home. Then the boys used the internet to learn how to say “Happy New Year” in Madarin, and wrote it in their Continent Explorer’s journal! It was so much fun, and the boys developed important life skills as they learnt about China and it’s culture.
By researching and directing their own learning, with the gentle prompting from the Archibold Clutterbuck resources, the children are learning the skills they will need to be independent learners for the rest of their lives.
If you prefer screen-free learning, all the resources in the Archibold Clutterbuck Shop can be used with books and other learning resources you already have at home.
The Explorer’s journal has note-booking pages for the continents, landmarks, flags and much more. It’s a wonderful resource to encourage children to think more deeply about the world around them.
Another lovely idea would be to take the explorer’s journal with you when you travel with the children. They can fill in the sections as they witness the geography firsthand on their family holiday! What a great way to learn!
- One beautiful A2 World Map
- One Explorers Journal
- Five Clutterbuck Stickers
This giveaway is OPEN WORLDWIDE!
All entrants under the age of 18 must have parental permission to enter.
For more information about The Worldly Adventures of Archibold Clutterbuck, visit their WEBSITE. You can also follow them on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube.
Happy adventuring explorers!
Peace and Love,