Homeschooling socialisation is one of the most common comments or questions parents receive. Almost every argument involving homeschooling revolves around this: “Homeschooled children don’t get enough socialisation.”.
Nobody ever worries about whether our children will get a good education at home, but we hear a lot about children needing school for socialisation. It is a well-known fact that homeschoolers have been subjected to the socialisation argument for quite some time, but what is the reality in relation to homeschooling socialisation?
In Episode 93 of the Raising Mums podcast, I discuss homeschooling socialisation.
Homeschooling and Socialisation References:
- The Prophet ﷺ was reported to have said, “I have been sent to perfect good character.” [al-Muwaṭṭa’ 1614, Sahih]
- The Prophet ﷺ was reported to have said, “A man follows the religion of his friend; so each one should consider whom he makes his friend” [Abu Dawud]
- “He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm.” [Proverbs, 13:20]
- Study by Shyers, Hedin, Montgomery et al. showed a significant advantage seen in homeschooled kids, with regards to their social development.
- Thomas Smedley (1992), in a controlled study, found that “…home educated in this sample were significantly better socialized and more mature than those in public school.”
Related: Start Your Homeschool Strong BOOTCAMP! Here: https://launchyourhomeschool.thinkific.com/courses/start-your-homeschool-strong
Related: Dealing with Naysayers | Home Education Here:https://ourmuslimhomeschool.com/2021/07/how-to-homeschool-successfully-ten-tips-from-the-heart.html
Related: Can I Homeschool if I’m NOT a Teacher? Here:https://ourmuslimhomeschool.com/2021/07/can-i-homeschool-if-im-not-a-teacher.html
Enough to Homeschool
Enough to Homeschool is a 5-day virtual workshop with Dr. Gemma, for the mother who is ready to feel like a homeschooler.
Unlock your confidence and step into your role as a home educator!
The Enough to Homeschool 5-day workshop will take place 10-14th October 2022.
JOIN ENOUGH TO HOMESCHOOL:- http://enoughtohomeschool.com